This traditional Venezuelan holiday drink is similar to the American eggnog. It’s a rich, warming drink with a thick, creamy, sweet base complimented by delicious aged rum.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup aged rum
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a bowl and with the help of an electric mixer, beat the yolks until a pale yellow cream is formed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and beat until a homogeneous mixture is formed about 1 more minute.
- Add evaporated milk and mix until incorporated.
- Bring the mixture of yolks and milk to a pot and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon, for about 12-15 minutes. It is imperative not to leave the pot unattended at any time to prevent the punch from sticking or clumping.
- Remove from heat. Add the rum and vanilla extract, and stir. You can discard or not the cinnamon stick. Stir, and with the help of a funnel, transfer the punch to a sterilized bottle.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Unlike other punches that have to be left to thicken for several days in the refrigerator, this one is so thick that you can drink it immediately.
- You can serve it on its own or with ice.